Starting the Hair

Starting the Hair



I decided to make a start on the hair for my character before I had fully finished my character sculpt as I hadn't really made realistic looking hair before so I had a lot to learn, and I would rather spend the time to work out an effective pipeline sooner rather than later to give me time to work out all of the kinks and get some good results.

I collated a moodboard of the sort of hair style I wanted my character to have. I found hair styling videos on Youtube to be a good source as they showed multiple views of a haircut.


Below is a selection of images from one hairstyle I like in particular:



I started off by learning Maya's XGen to create the hair clumps which will be used to obtain the textures for the hair cards. Then, I started placing cards manually using the technique by Tom parker, found here: https://www.3dartistonline.com/news/2015/04/how-do-i-create-real-time-hair-for-games/

The technique utilises the use of the IMM feature in ZBrush, which allows hair cards to be drawn out onto a mesh along a curve, which can then be adjusted before applying. I chose to manually place the cards in ZBrush it allowed artistic freedom and I am comfortable with the controls and I prefer to use a tablet to place the hair cards. I used GoZ to export out the head and cards to an external modelling package such as Maya or 3DS Max. This allowed me to apply alpha materials on the hair cards to check how they were looking. It also gave me the chance to fine tune the placement.



Placing and shaping hair curve guides in XGen:




Hair strand instances with Maya's Hair Physical Shader applied:





Rendered hair beauty texture using Arnold:



Begining hair card placement using IMM Brush in ZBrush:




Using Polygroups in ZBrush to allow more control when moving individual hair cards:

I painted a hair cap to show hair line and borders to help when placing hair.





Hair and head model exported to Max through GoZ:





Although adding the hair material to the cards inside 3DS Max gave me an idea of how the hair would look, I thought it would be beneficial to see how the hair would look in-engine as this is what I will be using to render my final product.

I decided to use Unreal's hair shader that was already included as it gave me good looking results and was quick to setup.

Before I could use Unreal Engine's hair shader, I first had to create some more maps from the XGen hair geometry in order to fully utilise the shader.

I found this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BSlDfF-Iys by Andrew Giovannini extremely helpful as it gave a step by step guide on how to create the required maps using xNormal.

The below are the extra maps that were created:





Then, inside Unreal, it was just a case of duplicating the existing master material used in the Photorealistic Character scene and replacing the 'Bottom Layer' textures with my own in the material editor.




Below are some in-engine screenshots of my initial hair placement. I plan on tweaking values a lot more in order to get the desired look.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morph Target Practice

Tertiary and Micro Details

Transformation Animation - Animating in 3ds Max